Tuesday

The Greatest Gift



When you swam into my life so coolly, not a hint of delicacy about you,
I conspired to destroy your distant ego.
Your armed words confronted my charisma and our similitude was a war like anything I'd seen before.
We marched toward woolly ignorance and a blitz of hedonism.

But as we grew together,
you looked into my eyes and slowly, deliberately melted the stolid husk of a man you were.
Somewhere beneath was a tenderness I could hardly believe.
But I felt it in every moment.

We began to trust each other, and brought to life was an adventurous glory so bright, shared between two loud, childlike creatures, wanting nothing in return from the dreamworld they built together.
Our laughter propelled us out of so many pasts laid to waste,
and races on endless summer shores and sunlit embraces on autumn beds were all we needed from life.
Just to see each other.
We fell so deeply
and loved each other completely.


But the beauty of our love was forever running from our ticking fate.


The sun had to set.
And in the end, you held me close and whispered the words I couldn't say.
You showed a courage I never knew,
and my heart broke into pieces when I realized
what you'd bring upon yourself
for me.

All you ever wanted was a chance.



I want nothing more
than to dance with you until the final hour,
under the constellations of our every memory shared.
And when we close our eyes under the starlight,
I want you to know
that I will always
love you.




No comments: