Tuesday

Today

It's only been two days.
I never thought 'work' could be a birthday present, but yesterday proved that miracles can happen. It isn't fair.




"Stephen, Chris, and Alex."
Not me. Instead, they wanted a rather serious talk.



One can imagine the internal tears when I walked out this morning to the place we had told the kids we'd gather yesterday.
They rushed over with joy.
"You're here!!!!! You're gonna be with us today!!!"
"No, I'm sorry, I'm not."
"What?"
All the girls clung on to me for dear life, in a state of bewilderment. I was unable to express my sadness.
All I could do was look up and give Stephen a sad smile that said "Take care of them, you know I won't be with them." Then they turned away to discuss the day's plan.
They wouldn't let me go. The girls were upset, the boys were wondering what happened.
They hadn't gotten a chance to care about Mr. Chris yet, of course.
The questions were flying. Why? How? What did you do? Honestly, I couldn't answer a damn one.




"Hey, this doesn't mean you'll be pulled out for the entire summer. I'm sorry if it came across that way."
"We'll assign you to groups with lead counselors."

"Can it be F3?"
"Hi, I was wondering if I could go to F3."
"Is it okay if I stay with F3?"






Today, I found out that I would no longer be with my counselors and kids because of a few (and I say this with all the vigor in the world) MINOR things that could easily be corrected. Lack of sunscreen, some kid roughhousing. Why just me? I spent the most time getting to know them, so my name came up first. 8:30 am, early as balls, and I had been informed that my day would be spent doing the equivalent of repeatedly killing trash mobs in VH. I suppose I felt a little better when Casey Enders showed up and recounted a similar fate when she worked here. But most of the day I was delivering things with a sad vengeance, coloring, or trying to find F3. And the kids wanted to see me too.




It just felt like a fucking divorce.







No comments: