Wednesday

Tribute


I still have five copies of the essay you wrote, haha. How I tried to lecture you on grammar and you kinda gave up.

And your X-Ray. I found it today. Never saw a prettier picture of bones.

In the grand setup called life, this means nothing.
But hey, no harm in remembering a little.

So when I'm bored I remember bits of this year.
And there you are, stretching yourself out like a bear.


Nothing puts a smile on my face like the day
all the way back then...


You called me up and I don't think January was even cold,
and I drove over and poor you, with your broken arm
we lazed around and it took forever just to get the brownie mix right and I made you hold it up until I could clean the mess out and I laughed so hard and you had that ridiculous look on your face
it baked wonderfully
and we whipped out your grandpa's guitar (what a beauty) and you sat there on the floor as I played you absolutely nothing
and then we gave ourselves a fright downstairs brownies everywhere watching the spookiest movie all curled up and then
I just went home.



I can't really remember a day for the past five months
that has been more simple
or more happy
than that.

I don't want anything right now, not really. Just to know that life will have days I don't have to worry about, days that I'll remember
and smile about, never knowing how truly great they were til they're gone.



No comments: